A Recap of my Breast Reduction…

Disclaimer: I’m still incredibly exhausted and not entirely thinking straight so the grammar on this particular post is probably worse than most of my other blog posts. Enjoy! 

It’s less than a week after my breast reduction, and I feel well enough to write this blog post which I wasn’t expecting to be able to do at all. For those of you who follow me, you know that I decided earlier this year to proceed with getting a breast reduction on December 14th in Massachusetts…

The surgery day came so much quicker than I was expecting. I felt like I blinked my eye and all of a sudden it was 10 PM the night before my surgery. I had been waiting since April for this day to finally come, and when it came, I felt like I was slightly unprepared but ready to get it over with. I’ve never had surgery, or even had blood drawn, so anything relating to blood, hospitals and surgery gives me an immediate panic attack. I was the kid who used to ask my doctor if I was going to die when they took a finger prick, and I still ask my doctor if I’m going to die every time I step foot in the office. I think my fear of death comes from my dad being Jewish…my sister always told me that the Jewish people she knows have much more anxiety. Let’s go with that.

I was told I couldn’t eat past midnight, and my surgery was at 7:30 AM so that made no sense to me and made me think I was going to die even more…aren’t you supposed to not eat for 24 hours? I obliged by doctors orders and ate my paleo chocolate bar up until 10:59 PM. I suggest not eating past 7 PM the night before your surgery because all I tasted at 4 AM before my surgery was what I ate the day before and that was kinda nasty. But I’m obviously obsessed with food so whatever. I went to bed late because I wanted to be as exhausted as possible so I was too tired to have a panic attack, and my lack of sleep definitely helped reduce my anxiety. Everyone who came to the surgery with me woke up around 3:59 AM and drove me to Needham, MA (which is where the hospital I had my surgery at) was. We arrived around 6:15 AM, and I was immediately checked in and told to wait in the waiting room with the rest of the people who were getting surgery there. They had me fill out a few forms, mostly signing my name so that they didn’t get sued if the anaesthesia killed me, and then I had to wait for what felt like an hour. I just wanted to be drugged up and admitted but instead they made me sit and wonder if I was going to die for about 25 minutes.

When I finally went into the hospital room, I was instructed to sit on a tiny bed (my legs were hanging off, I’m 5’10) and change into a gown with comfy socks. I think the $10,000 I spent on this procedure was worth it for the barre socks I got. I can wear them at every barre class for the rest of my life and know that I didn’t die from the only surgery I’ll *hopefully* ever get. 🙂

The nurses were so nice I wanted to be best friends with all of them. Different nurses kept coming in and introducing themselves, some asking me questions about my ride home and whether I had eaten anything, and some asking me if I usually get motion sickness and if I had ever had surgery before. When I was asked the last question, I started crying a lot and the nurse gave me a cup of water. That also confused me because again, how can you have anything before a major procedure? But I decided to put my life in their hands!

At around 6:50 AM, my family came back in the room and sat with me a bit. I was actually quite calm after I cried to the nurse and was even more ready to get this over with. The nurse came back and put something in my arm. I questioned her whether it would kill me, and she just stuck it in. I think it’s called an IV. My arm went a bit numb and then I didn’t feel anything. She left the room and I just sat there talking with my family for a bit longer.

At 7:15 AM, the doctor came in the hospital and introduced himself to my parents. Take note, I met this doctor once earlier this year for about 10 minutes, and hadn’t talked to him since. Everyone left the room and he started marking my chest up with a tape measurer and this purple pen. That purple pen is still on my chest, I think it’s my new accessory. He asked me some questions like was I scared and how long had I wanted to do this for, etc, and then he left the room.

Everyone came back in the room about 4 minutes later, and the nurses kept saying they were going to give me a mimosa now (aka what would put me to sleep). I looked straight at my mom, asked her if I was going to die, and all I remember next is this room that looks like it’s out of the film “The Human Centipede” (don’t watch that movie, ever) and the next thing I remember is waking up and eating a peanut butter cracker. Those peanut butter filled Ritz give me life! I just remembered that they gave me some teddy bear graham crackers, some saltines and some ginger ale too. Then I fell back asleep.

That’s it! After that, I stayed in the room (a different room than the original room) for about 3 hours, but I kept falling asleep, and then I was put in a wheelchair and wheeled outside. I woke up and fell asleep every 3.5-4 minutes on the 1.5 hour ride home. I don’t remember getting into the house but I do know that I was in no pain, because I was insanely high on lots of drugs. I slept for the next 24 hours. What hurt my head and my body the most was going on my phone, so I stayed off of my cell phone and watched TV when I woke up. On a scale, I’ve been at a consistent 3/10 on a pain level since the surgery. Today is the first day that I feel mentally clearer. The worst part has been not working, not being on my phone, and watching every episode of How To Get Away With Murder over again so that I have no more episodes to watch. Getting this done in the middle of December was a fantastic decision for me because most of my industry shuts down from December 10-January 15, so I don’t have to worry about doing much or trying to get stuff done for the next few weeks. If you get this done, you need to take 1-2 weeks off, and have people around you everyday for at least a week because you will need help. I still can’t properly shower, and I am in ongoing pain with this terribly ugly bra that I can’t take off for the next week until my first check-up appointment. No, I can’t really tell a difference right now because I have this bra on and there is tons of padding inside of it. I’m nervous and anxious for Friday because I will get to see my new chest for the first time!

Altogether, this was one of the best damn decisions I’ve ever made. I’ve wanted my boobs to be normal and not half of my upper body since I was 16, and now that the procedure is over, I want anyone who is considering this procedure to know that it is a worthy investment.

P.S. You should know that you can attempt to get this procedure covered by your insurance. I tried, but it was going to take me too long and cost me a decent amount of money to go to physical therapy for 6 months, so I decided to invest in myself. If you have any questions, please email me at fashionlane@alifeinthefashionlane.com and I will give you as much advice as I can!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow My instagram


Join the list to keep up with me!